Saturday, February 14, 2009

25 Things I Love About Paris: #10


10. Roasted chicken straight from the butcher.

If you're planning on visiting me here in Paris, I'll tell you right now what's for dinner: poulet rôti. It's my go-to meal for visitors from home because it's delicious and sure to please even the least adventurous palate. The roasted chickens fresh from the boucherie are like none other: tender meat, crispy skin, an aroma that will knock you out, and of course, some chicken fat dribbling down your chin. Served with roasted potatoes and salad, it's a meal that's hard to beat both in terms of taste and ease of preparation.

On the closest market street, there are two competing butchers selling roasted chicken. We've tried both but haven't come to a household consensus on which is better. On one thing, we're definitely agreed: more poulet rôti please!

2 comments:

Starman said...

Not to mention the ready-made sandwiches if you're in a hurry.

Anonymous said...

I'll never forget the Sunday morning that I walked to Sacre Coeur, then, returning, smelled the chickens from my own butcher starting to roast up. It brought a tear to my eye, thinking about how sophisticated, and yet so simple, this city can be

Related Posts with Thumbnails