Tuesday, November 3, 2009

From the Mouths of Babes


People are always asking about how my kids' French is coming along. Since they're not in an immersion situation in school, it's coming but slowly.

Or so I thought. One night a while back, we were coming home from a school event and we passed a couple of dudes having a drunken argument at a bus stop. We were on the other side of the street so there was no danger of us getting caught up in it. And honestly, I had no idea what they were talking about, just that it was loud and adamant.

I turned to my 10 year old and said, "At least we don't know what they're saying."

"Well Mom, I heard 'ta gueule' a couple of times."

Blank stare from me. They don't teach that expression in my French class.

"Which means?"

"Shut the f*&k up."

Guess the French really is kicking in.

5 comments:

Web designer said...

Amazing blog very informative it would be helpful for me..thanks for sharing I'll recommend your site to my friends and family members great job very appreciated..keep it up..


web design firm

Starman said...

Young brains are so quick to absorb. I wish mine was younger.

Kate said...

Ha! My husband is slowly learning French by need since I like to yell things at him in French. Sometimes when I'm feeling nice, and will slow down so he can think on each word. The other night I told him "You speak French or you do not speak at all." It took him a while, and once he figured it out said, "Well this should be fun." It was my polite way of telling him to shut up, since i knew he can't speak a lick of it, really!

FUN & FACT said...

You always come up with great stuff I just love your site you are very talented I'll recommend your site to my friends and family members great job very appreciated..keep it up..

DIU

Touring in Brittany said...

That's so cute! Learning that from your kids !

La verité sort de la bouche des enfants !
Truth goes out from children' mouth !

Related Posts with Thumbnails