Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Read the Fine Print

You may have heard tell that a baguette does not usually come with a bag.  Instead. you get a wispy piece of wax paper wrapped around the middle, just the size of your hand print.  After all, you're going directly home, right?

On the other hand, a baguette tradition, which is more my cup of tea, generally comes in a paper sleeve.  From time to time, I've noticed that the bag is a canvas for advertisements or public service announcements.  The bag my tradi came in yesterday is much more than that.  It is a legal document.  The text here is an extract of the 1993 defining the essential elements for any bread sold as pain de tradition or pain traditionnel.

You do not mess around with bread in France.  If you've got other ideas, you may want a lawyer with that sandwich.

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

"Should be made exclusively with drinkable water"

I am glad they specify it lol

Unknown said...

What a riot, I've never seen this before! If only they'd protect their whole grain breads as well - I once bought a loaf at the only bakery in my neighborhood open on a Sunday (already I was dubious)only to find that they poured salt all over the bread. It was inedible. At least this ensures a quality tradition!

Starman said...

I wonder what bakery scandal precipitated the law?

Related Posts with Thumbnails